ディストリビューターのオーバーホール / Rebuilding ignition distributor
Distributor rebuilding project, with refreshing the wire harness that has become brittle.
The cap and rotor taken out look fine.
Taken unidentifiable tape out of the connector body, I found the two terminals from the distributor wire were inserted into the vehicle-side connector without being held by the connector housing. Where has the housing been gone?
The 911SC distributor which I have an initial look, having a signal rotor having 6 horns around and a large eletrical coil underneath. Wondering if these components are still available for purchase or not… I guess not.
The distributor assembly taken out of my 911SC. The shaft is designed to turn counterclockwise differently from earlier 911 models. I lately learned that finding secondhand of this style distributor is not an easy job today, so I was uptight a bit to start rebuilding it.
All the external insulation material and a pair of wires inside the coaxial cable have become brittle for years. Removed the original connector body and started restoring them.
Replaced the coaxial cable with alternative one that is designed durable enough to withsand high temperature in the engine compartment. Also replaced the pair of terminals with those available today having the same width. The new terminals slightly have rattling in longer direction inside the housing because of the different location of the barb from those of the original, but I determined it creates no problem as the connector is being attached firmly with distributor housing by a retainer plate and the screw.
Next, dismantling the distributor assembly. Removed signal rotor by carefully prying up the closer location to the center shaft using a pair of screw drivers by left and right hands. A small key, 2mm in diameter, placed in between the signal rotor and shaft, comes off right after signal rotor gets off and this is quite easy to loose.
Now, some shims and circlips are accessible and to remove in sequence…
Took out the pick-up coil and vacuum advancer mechanism as a whole.
Unscrewed to separate them and cleaned up. The winding of the coil is exposed so you should not accidentally get your hand touch on it or it may break the wire. Greased moving locations of the vacuum advancer to restore the smooth movement.
A view inside the distributor housing, with a great amount of abrasion power observed on the inner side and the bottom surfaces.
A set of govenor weights and the associated mechanism including springs and base plate, rusted in red. Movement of governor weights was not smooth.
Bottom surface of the housing. It looks the solid bearing supporting the center shaft is made of brass. Fortunately no remarkable wear was observed, otherwise I had to get it replaced.
The bottom surface of the base plate, and a pair of shims in place that have become extremely thin due to wear. It seems the idea is to increase or decrease of the height of the shims to optimize mechanical play of the shaft in the longitudinal direction. No problem observed on the shaft itself. It looks this distributor has never been rebuilt before.
Got all the governor components cleaned and greased to restore smooth movement, then assembled into base plate.
Got a set of new brass shims into place. The shims are not designed for Porsche but for general industrial purposes. I only had to enlarge the internal diameter to fit.
Put the shaft assembly into distributor housing temporarily…
And put pinion gear temporarily in place as well, checked free play of the shaft in longitudinal direction and optimized the shim heights.
Put pick-up coil and vacuum advancer back into place and…
All done, with a new wire harness I made attached.
I will go with a roll pin instead of the original that is to be tightly crimped. For safety concerns I made both ends of the roll pin slightly bent outwardly, but I am not still confident, so I may go back to the original pin before getting the car back on the road.